April 18th, 2014
Additionally a HUGE Thank You to all the performers and those who came out to support them last night in the Spring Charity Drag Show! It would not have been possible without all of you. As you may know, we were raising money for the Roanoke Diversity Center.
Thanks to the audience and their generosity in tips and donations, we are very pleased to announce that we had our most successful drag show fundraiser to date by raising $839.91 for the Roanoke Diversity Center.
We are blown away by the success of this event, and look forward to the many more drag shows in the future.
March 25th, 2014
It's that time of year again to start thinking about nominations for the Executive Board for the 2014-2015 school year! Our board consists of 11 positions and is the reason that our wonderful organization is able to put on so many fantastic programs, meetings, and events on campus and throughout the community. This is a great opportunity to get involved, build up that leadership/professional section of your resume, and learn more about what goes on behind the scenes.
Qualifications/Requirements for Executive Board Members:
1) You must be a Virginia Tech student with at least 6 credit hours
2) You must be able to hold 3-5 office hours per week in our office (304 Squires)
3) You must be able to attend two executive board meetings a week (one longer one, one 45 minutes before General Body meetings)
4) You must fill out an Executive Board Application (available in our office, 304 Squires, or MPS, 150 Squires)
5) You must go through a short but simple interview process before being put on the ballot
The LGBTA is going through a few changes right now. We're in the midst of an organization name change, and some other constitutional changes. These will be finalized by the time the new board is announced, so these are the positions that people will be running for for the 2014-15 school year:
1) President - You MUST have served on the executive board for at least 2 semesters before running for President
2) Vice President - You MUST have served on the executive board for at least 1 semester before running for Vice President.
3) Treasurer - You MUST be able to attend Student Budget Board Meetings Mondays at 3:30
5) Advertising Chair
6) Campus Liason - You MUST be able to attend SGA House of Representative Meetings Tuesdays at 6:30
7) Films/Speakers Chair
8) Community Health Issues Chair
9) Co-Programming Chair
10) Co-Programming Chair
Here is a Word Document with descriptions of each position: 2014-2015 Exec Board Positions
- You may run for more than one position.
- Nominate yourself/someone else by emailing email@example.com. Also include a blurb about yourself and why you should be elected to be emailed over the listserv.
NOMINATIONS ARE DUE BY SUNDAY MARCH 30th at 5PM.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me or any other officer. Good Luck!
Caroline Sapyta President, LGBTA
March 17th, 2014
Ryan Sallans is a transgender author and LGBTQ activist who has given talks on topics including eating disorders, sexual health, gender identity,
campus inclusion and workplace issues for the LGBTQ community. He's got a bunch of experiences to share and is very excited to be returning to
Virginia Tech to speak next week, so please come out and show your support!
Ryan Sallans will also be selling his book, Second Son, for a discounted student price of $15 and tshirts for $10. He accepts both cash and credit if you are interested in making a purchase.
Link for the shirt: Ryan Sallan's Store
October 21st, 2013
This Thursday, October 24th, TV and radio personality, Romi Klinger will share her struggles with alcohol, her commitment to getting sober,
her love life and her vision for her jewelry line.
Students, faculty, staff and community members are invited to listen to Romi talk about how she navigates personal and professional spheres as a married bisexual woman of color. She will further explain how the Hokie community can embrace our difference and our inner diversities through the narrative of her own personal journey.
October 16th, 2013
Hey everyone! National Coming Out Day is almost here. This year, Tech will be having our annual NCOD Open Mic Night on October 17th (Thursday),
at 8PM in the Graduate Life Center (GLC) Auditorium.
Open Mic acts can be monologues, poems, songs, skits, or any other form of creative expression about LGBTQ experiences and identities.
If you are uncomfortable sharing a work on stage yourself, you can still submit a piece and have a volunteer share it.
The more acts we have, the better this event is, so please sign up if you want to get involved by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org
(or shoot me a message on FB) with your name/alias and a brief description of your act. Thanks and enjoy your week!
Matt Pagnotti National Coming Out Day Chair, LGBTA of VT
October 4th, 2013
I just wanted to thank everyone for all their hard work and support!!! You have made this whole process so amazing and the Hokie Community Campaign photos look AWESOME!! There is still one part left of homecoming, the PARADE! I would ask everyone come out and be a part of the tradition. I ask that you wear one of the following: 1) Hokies Love All Love shirt 2) the homecoming maroon effect shirt, or 3) a maroon VT shirt. To be a part of the parade. Meet at 830 by the old Blacksburg highschool. Where is that you ask? Walk down main towards Fancy Kroger and keep going to you reach an open field with lots of people milling about. I am asking everyone to be a part of this. It ends with PLENTY of time to still go tailgate (or back to bed if you dont wanna go to the game). I got Hokie Love for all of you. See you tomorrow!!!
September 17th, 2013
The LGBTA at VT, in conjunction with VT Athletics, presents "No Look Pass" Thursday, September 19th in Squires Brush Mountain A.
Back by popular demand!
"No Look Pass" is the documentary film about Emily Tay, a senior basketball player at Harvard University who makes the transition from student athlete to playing professionally overseas. The film follows Emily's journey into adulthood and documents the various obstacles she encounters- coming out to a traditional family, culture shock, and falling in love with a US servicewoman constrained by "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
September 16th, 2013
Do you think you're smarter than a fifth grader? Feel like winning some awesome prizes?
Come join oSTEM@VT on Wednesday, September 18 for a trivia night! We'll be meeting at 7pm in Squires 341
for our general body meeting; since it's our first meeting after GobblerFest, we'll be doing some introductions,
icebreakers, and talking about what oSTEM is all about. Afterwards, we'll be playing some oSTEM@VT Jeopardy,
complete with awesome prizes! Hope to see you there!
tl;dr, Wednesday, 7pm, Squires 341.
September 3rd, 2013
Hey everyone! oSTEM @ Virginia Tech is having its first general body meeting of the semester on Wednesday, September 4 at 7pm in Squires 342. (That's tomorrow!) We'll be talking about what oSTEM is as an organization, what our plans are for the semester (events, bake sales, etc) and having some icebreakers for any new faces! Afterwards, we'll be playing boardgames and generally hanging out. Hope to see you there!
September 2nd, 2013
Memebers old and new! Come to the first LGBTA general body meeting of the 2013-2014 school year this Thursday in Squires Brush Mountain A from 8:00-10:00 pm! Join us for a night of catching up with old friends and meeting new ones, along with tons of fun icebreakers! Afterwhich we will adjourn to Deets for crazy good icecream. Hope to see you all there!
My name is Zack Fry. If you are not aware by now, I will be representing the LGBTA this year in the Homecoming race. The best form of advertising is to wear your message. I have created a t-shirt design and would like to know if you would like one. The price will vary based on how many people order, but will be no more than $10.
If you fill out the survey, I am assuming you want one.
Thanks for your support and I hope everyone gets one!!
September 1st, 2013
Support Group will meet for the first time this semester in the Monterrey Tec room of Squires from 8-10 pm.
August 27th, 2013
Here's a quick overview of the fall semester for the next few weeks:
- Our office (304 Squires) will be open sporadically for the next week or so until the officers can solidify office hours. So stop by and study, check out our library, or just hang out with the exec members! We're nice and lonely and want to see people.
- There is NO General Body Meeting this week (8/29). :( It's ok, because it gives you time to get used to being in school and being responsible again!
- Monday, 9/2 is the first Support Group Meeting! More details on the room location/time later!
- Thursday, 9/5 is the first General Body Meeting. We'll be meeting in Brush Mountain A in Squires (Third floor of Squires across from the LGBTA office) from 8-10pm.
- Friday, 9/6 is Gobblerfest. We'll have a table set up somewhere on the drillfield, so come find us and say hello!
- Monday, 9/9 is Support Group again.
- Thursday, 9/12 the Second (first after Gobblerfest) General Body Meeting. This would meet in Squires Room 300 (right next to the LGBTA office) from 8-10 pm.
Want to stay even more connected with us? Check out our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/20446781354/
Have other questions, comments, or concerns? Email any officer or lgbtaofvtvt.edu@